Lest we Forget, The War to End All Wars, The Lost Generation… All common phrases used to recollect the horror of WWl. 2014-2018 marks the centenary of The Great War - a war like no others, a war that changed the world we know today.
Along the length of the Western Front bloody, brutal battles were fought by troops from all over the world in a global conflict that was to affect so many communities in so many countries. We offer itineraries that focus studies on The Somme and the Ypres salient, or combine both areas in a school visit that will be poignant, evocative and truly memorable for your students.
Day 1: Arrive in Arras mid-afternoon. Visit Wellington Quarry for a guided tour before continuing to Albert for dinner.
Day 2: Somme. A guided tour of the battlefields that includes Beaumont Hamel, Lochnagar Crater, Thiepval monument to the missing, Fricourt German cemetary and the Ulster Tower. Weaponry demonstration. The Somme 1916 Museum enables students to learn about the impact and conditions of war.
Day 3: Depart from Albert for the journey to the UK and incorporate a visit to Vimy Ridge to appreciate just how close the opposing trenches could be in places along the front.
While popular, this itinerary is indicative and entirely flexible; any programme will reflect the group leader's preference and can be of any duration and emphasis.
Excellent school accommodation and a popular choice for groups.
- Albert was in the centre of the battlefields in 1916.
- The centre is located 5 minutes from the centre of the town and can accommodate up to three coaches at one time – 186 persons on 4 floors.
- Students are accommodated in multi-bed rooms and accompanying adults have twin/single bed rooms - all have private facilities.
- It is possible for a group to be allocated a floor for its sole use.
- Meals are full board with a packed lunch; dinner is in a local restaurant.
- Swimming and bowling are nearby and in-house amenities include a games room, space for evening study sessions, teacher staff room and there is a football pitch opposite.