Lest we Forget, The War to End All Wars, The Lost Generation… All common phrases used to recollect the horror of WWl. 2014-2018 marks the centenary of The Great War - a war like no others, a war that changed the world we know today.
Along the length of the Western Front bloody, brutal battles were fought by troops from all over the world in a global conflict that was to affect so many communities in so many countries. We offer itineraries that focus studies on The Somme and the Ypres salient, or combine both areas in a school visit that will be poignant, evocative and truly memorable for your students.
Day 1: Arrive in Flanders, settle in and dinner.
Day 2: Poperinghe, The Cloth Hall, Sanctuary Wood, Hill 60, Langemark German cemetery.
Day 3: Visit to Paschendaele Dugout Experience and Tyne Cot. Attend the Menin Gate ceremony.
Day 4: Return journey to the UK.
While popular, this itinerary is indicative and entirely flexible; any programme will reflect the group leader's preference and can be of any duration and emphasis.
Menin Gate Hotel
Located opposite the Menin Gate, close to town and all visits.
- This is excellent accommodation that has been specifically designed for school groups and is of a high standard.
- The building originated in 1896 but was rebuilt in 1927 after WW1.
- It has an enviable location opposite the Menin Gate and close to the market square and Cloth Hall.
- The accommodation is in 2-6 bed rooms with private facilities. Guests should bring towels.
- The capacity is 52 persons.
- Meals are buffet/self service style with a packed lunch.
- There are a range of facilities at the hotel which include a games room, TV room, teacher staff room.
There are two other hotels under the same management and of the same standard. The Poppies has a capacity for 73 and The Salient for 103 persons. The three hotels offer the same standard of accommodation and all are conveniently located for the amenities of the town. Groups will be allocated according to their group size and availability.