The stunning Sorrento peninsula forms has been designated a World Heritage site and together with the bay of Naples forms the backdrop to this exciting destination. Dominated by Mount Vesuvius, the ruins of Herculaneum and Pompeii have been preserved as a snapshot in time; Sorrento is a bustling town and a fine base from which to explore the region, the Amalfi Coast and the Isle of Capri that all contribute to make this a memorable tour for your group.
There are many opportunities for geographical visits to gather information for case studies or research work, but this tour has been designed for a less formal delivery to take advantage of the fascinating historical sites of the area. The region has a wonderful Mediterranean climate and so whilst there may be rain in early spring or late autumn, a visit is ideal at any time.
Day 1: Arrive in Naples and transfer to your hotel. It may be possible to visit the Naples Archaeology Museum according to the itinerary.
Day 2: The Amalfi Coast. Drive along the UNESCO heritage coastline to Positano, a village that clings to the cliffs - beach studies are possible. Continue to Amalfi for a tourism questionnaire and enjoy the town,beach and shopping.
Day 3: Around Sorrento. Drive to the hilltop town of Termini for a walk along the peninsula. Learn about Mediterranean climate, land use and vegetation. Opportunity for coastal field sketching. Visit a local farm to see how traditional mozzarella is made. Return to Sorrento for a shopping questionnaire and some retail therapy of your own.
Day 4: Drive to Pompeii for a guided tour of this once thriving town. Visit the forum, theatres, amphitheatre and the plaster casts of the victims of the AD79 eruption. Continue to the Vesuvius National Park and walk to the summit of the only active volcano on mainland Europe.
Day 5: A visit to Herculaneum followed by the magnificent amphitheatre of Pozzuoli or Solfatara in the Phlegrean Fields; an area of dying volcanoes with mud pools and fumaroles before transferring to the airport for the flight back.
While popular, this itinerary is indicative and entirely flexible; any programme will reflect the group leader's preference and can be of any duration and emphasis.
A family run hotel that offers comfortable accommodation for our groups.
- You can be sure of a warm welcome from Gaetano and his team.
- The hotel has undergone extensive refurbishment over recent years and offers comfortable accommodation in this popular town.
- There is a TV lounge/reception area, meeting room and light restaurant where groups can relax.
- Rooms are for 2-4 persons and include bunk beds; all have private facilities.
- In addition there is a pleasant terrace with swimming pool - May to September - although it is not life-guarded.
- The Gardenia is located a short 10 minute walk from Piazza Tasso at the centre of the town.
A fantastic hotel for school groups.
- This hotel offers elegant accommodation that is a 10 minute walk from the town centre.
- Student rooms are for 2-4 persons with accompanying adults being provided with twin/single rooms. All have private facilities.
- Meals are taken in the restaurant with panoramic views across the Bay of Naples to Vesuvius.
- The public areas are very spacious with a sweeping staircase, Hollywood style, a bar and a meeting room that can be used for in-house activities or studies.
Located in a quiet position within walking distance of Piazza Tasso.
- The hotel is located in a quiet position of the town about 15 minutes from the town centre and you can be assured for a fine welcome from the staff.
- The accommodation provides rooms for 2-4 persons - all rooms have private facilities.
- Meals are full board with a packed lunch – the food is varied and plentiful.
- Facilities include a bar with TV, a lounge and garden area with a swimming pool (not life-guarded).