The tour is designed around the best selling book and film, Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo who, in turn, was inspired to write it after visiting the grave of Private Peaceful on the Western Front in the Ypres Salient.
The tour aims to provide an insight into issues and attitudes towards military executions against the background of the battlefield environment of the day.
Day 1: Depart school and arrive in Ypres. According to the itinerary it may be possible to visit Essex Farm Dressing Station, Passchendaele Visitor centre and Tyne Cot cemetery.
Day 2: Poperinghe. Visit Toc H, Poperinghe Town Hall death cells and execution post. Poperinghe New Military Cemetery. Bedford House Cemetery to visit the grave of Private TSH Peaceful who inspired the character and the story.
The itinerary, while popular, is entirely flexible in both duration and content. The schedule will depend upon the location of school and can be adapted to suit the preferences of the group leader.
Menin Gate Hotel
Quality Youth accommodation, easily accessible to all sudy sites.
- This is excellent accommodation that has been specifically designed for school groups and is of a high standard.
- The building originated in1896 but was rebuilt in 1927 after WW1.
- It has an enviable location opposite the Menin Gate and close to the market square and Cloth Hall.
- The accommodation is in 2-6 bed rooms with private facilities. Guests should bring towels.
- The capacity is 52 persons.
- Meals are buffet/self service style with a packed lunch.
- There are a range of facilities at the hotel which include a games room, TV room, teacher staff room.
There are two similar accommodations in Ypres of the same standard.