With a driving time from Calais of just 5 hours, this destination is ideal for a first time trip abroad or for groups looking for a visit that is not too far from home.
Our study base is located at Apeldoorn which offers shops cafés and supermarkets close by that can be reached on foot or by bicycle from our accommodation.
We have based our studies close to the Hoge Veluwe National Park and all the other locations are easily accessible so that groups can visit the wide variety of landscapes that Holland has to offer whether it is the Polders, Amsterdam or the coast. There are several opportunities for relaxation in Deventer and Apeldoorn - ice skating, swimming and bowling are possible.
Day 1: Arrive during the afternoon to settle in and have dinner. According to the itinerary it may be possible to visit Holland's highest point at Euromast in Rotterdam.
Day 2: A day on the Flevoland Polder. There are several options that include an agricultural land-use transect, settlement hierarchy and the Polder Museum and Batavia pirate ship.
Day 3: A short journey to the De Hogue Veluwe National Park. The park is a vast area of glacial moraines and outwash deposits with a complex vegetation pattern of woodland and heath. Visits to the Museonder underground museum, take a cycle ride around the park to appreciate the landscape and ask a visitor questionnaire.
Day 4: Amsterdam. Use the park and ride to travel into the city and assess the traffic problems. Take a boat trip on the canals. Spend the afternoon in Vollendam to find out how cheese is made and go to a clog factory and buy the souvenirs of a memorable trip.
Day 5: Depart after breakfast for the return journey to the UK.
While popular, this itinerary is indicative and entirely flexible; any programme will reflect the group leader's preference and can be of any duration and emphasis.
Great location, easily accessible for all study visits
- Stayokay Apeldoorn is located on the edge of the woods, just outside the town of Apeldoorn and is close to the lovely national park of De Hogue Veluwe.
- The hostel is an ideal group destination and provides good access to the study area.
- The student rooms are for 2-4 persons, all have private facilities.
- The heart of the building features a bar, lounge, reading room and billiards – it is a great place to relax, enjoy and discover.
- Meals are full board with a packed lunch, usually made by the students after breakfast.
- The capacity is 136.